1. The Netherlands is the most densely populated country in Europe with more than 1 million people. Lucky for the environment, they like to ride their bikes!
2. More than 1/4 of the Netherlands is below sea level. Now I know why I’ve been having that “sinking” feeling.
3. The Dutch are the tallest in the world. The average man is 6 ft. or taller while the average woman is 5’6. I am definitely one of the shortest people living here.
4. The Dutch love coffee & tea. In fact they, after Scandinavians, drink more coffee than anyone in the world with an average of 3 cups per day. Everywhere you go, the bank, someone’s house, etc, you are offered coffee or tea. They look at me funny because I do not drink either.
5.The Netherlands exports more beer than any other country. Half of it is shipped to the U.S. Most beer is super cheap here. It is usually cheaper to buy beer than bottled water!
6. The average Dutch person bikes 3 miles a day. That is about 560 miles a year! No wonder they are in such good shape.
7. The Dutch LOVE American music! Everywhere you go you will here all genres of music from different decades. Definitely makes me feel at home!
8. Be careful when looking for a Coffee shop. There is the Coffee Shop and the Koffie Shop. One sells beverages while the other sells marijuana & hallucinogenic mushrooms. To enter the shop you have to show proof of your citizenship.
9.The legal drinking age in the Netherlands is 16. It is not uncommon to see school age kids purchasing beer & wine at the local store. It is also legal to drink in public. There are a few areas that have no drinking signs, but not many.
10. Driving here is very different from driving in the U.S. No turning right on red. Watch out for bikes because they are everywhere and they will pull out in front of you. Stop lights are on poles instead of overhead hanging wires and it gets very confusing. I have not been brave enough to try driving here yet. I see how stressed out Barry gets and I am happy to just be a
back seat driver passenger.
Well, there you have it. 10 facts about the Netherlands. We really are enjoying it here. I feel so blessed to have the opportunity to live here.
Sources: Expatica.com, funtrivia.com & personal experience